As a leading provider of medical professional liability insurance, Coverys understands the medical malpractice risks that long-term care facilities face and offers a wide range of coverage options to meet them.
Selection of MPL Coverage Forms Available
- Provides protection for covered medical malpractice claims which occur on or after a retroactive date and are reported during the policy period or an extended reporting period, if applicable.
- Offers prepaid tail coverage on a claims-made basis. Protects against covered medical malpractice claims which occur on or after a retroactive date and are reported during the policy period or an extended reporting period, if applicable. Please note that an indefinite reporting period endorsement automatically applies at no additional premium.
- Provides protection for covered medical malpractice claims that occur during the policy period.
Primary Policy Limits
Primary policy limits are available of up to $2,000,000 per claim.
Key Coverage Highlights
Medical Directors, Peer Review and Credentialing Activities
– Coverage provided for medical directors acting within their scope of duty for the named insured as well as persons acting within their scope of duties on a formal accreditation, peer review or credentialing committee or board of the named insured.
Broad Definition of Insured
– Shared coverage provided for all non-physician employees, students and volunteers while acting within their scope of duties; separate limits offered for an additional premium.
Consent to Settle
– Where allowed, Coverys will not settle a claim or suit without the named insured’s written consent.
– Coverage applies for suits brought within the United States, its territories and possessions, or Canada.
Healthcare Provider Coverage
– Coverage is provided to ‘Scheduled Providers’ identified in the schedule of insureds while working within their scope of duties. If desired, separate limits of liability may be purchased for healthcare providers.
Vicarious Liability Coverage
– Provided for claims arising out of professional acts or omissions by someone for whom the policyholder is legally responsible.
Cyber/Regulatory Liability Coverage
– Free coverage for cyber liability including data security breaches and regulatory claims is offered through Coverys Protection Plus. Included within this coverage is the cost for experienced attorneys and legal consultants who specialize in such cases, as well as comprehensive support to mitigate these risks from beginning to end.
Commercial General Liability Coverage
– Protects against liability for bodily injury or property damage arising out of an insured’s premises and personal and advertising injury. Additionally, payment of related medical expenses is included regardless of fault.
Administrator Separate Limit of Liability
– In the event that the limit of liability is exhausted by the payment of claims, we will pay up to $100,000 for a claim that the Named Insured is legally obligated to pay against an administrator for an incident in the performance of professional services.
– Named Property Endorsement – Bailee coverage extends to personal medical devices, as defined within the endorsement, for a limit of $25,000 per device/$25,000 annual aggregate with a $200 per device retention.
Professional Conduct Review Coverage
– Provides reimbursement for legal expenses required to defend a healthcare facility in a licensing board proceeding arising out of the performance of professional service rendered to a patient.
Sexual Misconduct Legal Expense
– Subject to premium consideration, this coverage provides reimbursement up to $100,000 for legal expenses required for defense of a suit or licensing board proceeding alleging actual or threatened sexual abuse or sexual misconduct of a patient by anyone for whom the named insured is legally responsible.
Patient Evacuation Endorsement
– Patient Evacuation provides up to $100,000 reimbursement limit for patient evacuation expenses paid by a Named Insured for a patient evacuation beginning during the policy period. Patient evacuation expenses are incurred due to relocation of inpatients from a named insured’s premises to a temporary location after a patient evacuation event. Further reimbursable are expenses to return patients from the temporary location.
Public Relations Endorsement
– Public Relations provides reimbursement up to $100,000 annual aggregate with a $5,000 per event retention for public relations events which occur during the policy period. Public relations event means a criminal investigation or complaint arising out of violations of federal or regulations in regards to abuse, credentialing checks and other applicable regulations regarding operations to protect patients and residents.
Employee Benefits Liability Coverage Part
– Coverage for claims alleging improper advice and other errors or omissions in the administration of the named insured’s employee benefit plans.
Excess Medical Professional and Umbrella Liability Coverage Part
– Additional limits added in excess of primary limits in the event the underlying coverage limit has been exhausted.